HepCnet Logo, Hepatitis C information and support, hep c information, hepatitis c message boards chat support and informationHepatitis C resources and support hepcnet, abigsam and lyric hepatitis c information and support Make a Donation »  
Main Page | About HepCnet | Contact Info
Hepatitis C
Viral Hepatitis C - Frequently Asked Questions
Nutrition & Hep C
Nutrition and Diet Recommendations for people with Chronic Hepatitis C
Nutrition & Cirrhosis
Nutrition information for people with Cirrhosis
Drugs & Liver Damage
Drugs that may cause liver dysfunction or damage
Hepatitis C Tests
Serologic Tests Used to Diagnose Hepatitis C
Scoring/Staging Hepatitis C & Cirrhosis
Scoring Systems for Staging of Chronic Hepatitis and Cirrhosis
Message Boards
Open Discussion
Treatments & Studies
Heppo Friends & Fun
HepCnet Chat
aBigSam and Lyric's
Hep C Support Chat
Member Stories
Read members stories about how Hepatitis C has affected their lives

Photo Album

Pictures of some of our members
Artistic Expressions
Various forms of art submitted by our members
News & Info
Heppo Fest information and other News
Recipe Exchange
Recipes submitted by HepCnet members
Sign Guestbook
View Guestbook
Make an entry to our Guestbook and let us know that you were here!
Related Links
Other sites that offer information and support about Hepatitis C
Link to Us!
How to Link your Web Site to HepCnet
Web Rings & Awards
Web rings that HepCnet has joined and awards received
The Hep C Stuff Archive
The official repository for every member of HepCnet to store info and links
Top    Back

Mesarat's Story


In 1966 I joined the US Army. During the first week I, along with a couple hundred others, got mass inoculations. The medics used a pneumatic gun type injector giving 2 shots in each arm. It was a rather bloody affair, but we all had other problems at the time.

During 1967 I fell in with a group of soldiers who were injecting speed. The first time I ever did an illegal drug I shot myself up with speed. It was the beginning of a life of drug abuse. I eventually took other drugs too, but my whole reason for being revolved around injecting amphetamines. The Army and I parted company in late 1968 and I went home to California.

It didn't take me long to wind up in the Haight Ashbury section of San Francisco, I thought I was in heaven. As it turned, heaven was not the place I really was. As part of that culture I did everything that is associated with it. Speed, of course, played a large role. The San Francisco police and I had a mis-understanding and I moved south. I spent several years in Venice, CA in the early 70s, just doing my thing. It wasn't pretty, the life of a hard-core needle freak rarely is. After spending some time in prison it seemed the only thing to do was to start shooting up heroin. Life went downhill even faster.

Eventually I left all that behind and became a hard worker and a harder drinker. I felt great, seemed healthy too. I went through a series of jobs and eventually became fairly successful, at least financially. But my drinking and use of other drugs like cocaine and various pills wound up sending me into a rehabilitation center. I was given a physical at the rehab on the first day. On the second day a doctor came to me and asked, "Have you ever heard of Hepatitis C?" I started to learn something that day.

I went home after my stint in the rehab and sought out my family doctor. The doctor confirmed the previous diagnosis and sent me to a gastroenterologist. The specialist re-confirmed the diagnosis. After 6 months of monitoring my liver enzymes the doctor did a biopsy on my liver. It wasn't good news. Things like bridging fibrosis, necrosis, and cirrhosis we're discussed. Then the doctor dropped the bomb, "You will need a liver transplant within 5 years or you will die." He said it was an incurable liver disease called hepatitis C. However, there was one ray of hope.

"Interferon", the doctor said, "can help, but it is rarely successful." So in October of 1994 I began a six-month course of the drug. It was horrible. I thought I was dying. Three months into treatment the doctor said it isn't working. I insisted on my whole six months of treatment. The doctor was right. It did not work.

A few months later the doctor suggested that I undergo a series of phlebotomies, I agreed. This was done to check for an iron overload condition known as hemochromatosis. After 13 Fridays of having a pint of blood removed it was determined that I didn't have iron overload and I was now quite anemic. The doctor asked me if I wanted to try interferon again. I didn't hesitate and started back on interferon in October of 1995.

After a month my liver enzymes normalized. After another month a PCR was done and came back negative. I continued on with interferon. Every time I thought it was over, the doctor would add 3 months to the treatment. In the end I wound up doing it for 20 months that second time. I did my last shot on July 31, 1997. 6 months after stopping all was still normal. In fact to this day all my liver tests have been normal. I have beat the doctor's prediction, in September of 2001 it will have been six years since I was told that I only had five. I remain in full remission and have declared myself cured as of July 31, 2000. What that means remains to be seen.


Click here to return to the member stories list



    Page last updated: March 7, 2003

Home  |  About HepCnet  |  Contact Information
Hep C FAQ  |  Nutrition & Hep C |  Nutrition & Cirrhosis
Drugs & Liver Damage  |  Hep C Tests  | Scoring/Staging Hepatitis C & Cirrhosis
HepCnet Message Boards  |  HepCnet Chat  |  Artistic Expressions  |  Member Stories  
Photo Album  |  News & Info  |  Heppo Recipe Exchange  |  Sign Guestbook  |  View Guestbook
The Hep C Stuff Archives  |  Related Links  |  Web Rings & Awards  |  Link to HepCnet!

Copyright 2000, 2001, 2002. 2003 HepCnet.net. All rights reserved

Site Design by Wolf Web Publications.