I have known for
the past 6 years I had Hep C. My doctor back then didn't feel
I needed a biopsy, and told me to wait 5 or 6 years and maybe
have one, even though liver function test were not normal.
I had Hep A and B over twenty years ago. I have had on going
health problems for years, but the past year has gotten worse.
Last year I went to another doctor because of severe joint
pains, fatigue, numbness and pain in both hands, stomach pains,
severe back and hip pain. The doctor I went to, ordered blood
work, x-rays, and sent me to a Rheumy doctor. Blood work came
back showing Hep C (which I knew I had) x-rays showed bone
spurs on lower spine. Rheumy doctor said I had Fibromyalgia,
and Arthritis and Carpal Tunnel in both hands. My primary
care doctor sent me to another Specialist, which was a liver
specialist. More blood work was ordered, showing my viral
load, genotype which is 1 a. Then I found out I had diabetes
also. It was like my body was attacking itself.
The liver specialist my primary care doctor sent me to, did
not impress me much. Though I didn't know much about Hep C
last year, I knew something was not right with my body. The
liver specialist didn't think I should worry about a biopsy
or treatment since my liver enzymes were elevated, yet not
real high. My viral load was 8,300,000 . My blood work also
showed weak positive cryoglobulin. I went home and got on
the Internet and starting learning more about Hep C. I went
back to the liver specialist and told him I felt I needed
a liver biopsy and treatment. He agree that maybe I should
have one. I left his office and looked for another doctor.
Well, this year, finally I found a great doctor, who has treated
a lot of Hep C patients. He is kind, understanding and informed.
He looked at the results my primary care doctor had sent him
of blood work from last year, and said I should have a liver
biopsy. I had the biopsy a few months ago, and it came back
grade 3 stage 3, severe steatosis. My liver specialist told
me he was sad, because he was hoping for better news for me,
since my liver enzymes weren't real high on the lab results
my primary doctor had sent him. The problem is the results
were almost a year old. I have confidence in this doctor.
He told me he recommended treatment, and if I needed anything
to let him know. I am now on a waiting list for treatment.
I know I am getting worse, and hope treatment will work. I
am going to give it my best shot and live one day at a time.
I told my doctor that anymore I seem to be tired a lot, and
get brain fog at times. He warned me that on treatment those
symptoms will probably be even worse, yet he still recommends
that I try treatment.
It didn't really sink in, about the biopsy results until a
few days later. I am concerned, and I think: I think to myself,
What if the treatment doesn't work? Then I say, at least I
will have tried. But to be honest, I am more then concerned,
I am scared. The treatment sounds like a road through hell,
and no treatment is not good either. It's kind of sad to think
something I did over 30 years ago, is going to haunt me now.
Well, I just wanted to share some of my story.
here to return to the member stories list